Meet the Artist
Sheila Wissner's expressive watercolors capture scenes from the areas around her homes in Bear Lake and Cape Coral, FL. She often paints on location "en plein air" and enjoys meeting the people who stop by to watch her at work.
Sheila holds a degree in art education from Western Michigan University and has taught art at the elementary, junior high and community college levels. She also had a successful career as a newspaper journalist.
In addition to painting, she creates lovely enameled sterling silver jewelry that she sells at her Bear Lake studio and online.
She and her husband, Wayne, shoot scenic and wildlife photographs that they sell at art fairs in northern Michigan. The couple formerly ran a portrait and wedding photography business. Wayne also worked for several years as a newspaper photographer.
- First place for the watercolor painting "Rainy Night at the Vogue". West Michigan Juried Art Show in June sponsored by the Manistee Art Institute in Manistee, MI.
- Hagerty Award for the best painting featuring a classic car during the Crooked Tree Arts Center June Plein Air Paintout in Traverse City, MI. Award sponsor: Hagerty Classic Cars.
- First place in the "quick draw" competition for a painting of the Crystal River during the Glen Arbor Art Association Plein Air Weekend in August in Glen Arbor, MI.
- Second place in the "Sundowner" competition during the 7th annual Paint the Beach plein air competition in November in Fort Myers Beach, FL.
- Honorable mention in the "quick draw" competition during the 7th annual Paint the Beach plein air competition in November in Fort Myers Beach, FL.
- Honorable mention at the Capture Captiva Juried Art Exhibition in November sponsored by the Captiva Civic Association.