Meet the Artist
Sheila Wissner’s expressive watercolors capture scenes from the areas around her homes in Bear Lake and Cape Coral, FL. She often paints on location “en plein air” and enjoys meeting the people who stop by to watch her at work.
”Nothing beats painting on site for teaching an artist how to really see,” she said. “You are presented with an unvarnished view of a scene without the distortions often present in photographs. You must act quickly to produce a snapshot of the changing light. You must learn to block out distractions from bad weather to insects. It’s nerve-racking, but exciting to see what you can accomplish in a few hours.”
Sheila holds a degree in art education from Western Michigan University and has taught art at the elementary, junior high and community college levels. She also had a successful career as a newspaper journalist.
In addition to painting, she creates enameled sterling silver jewelry that she sells at her Bear Lake studio.
- First place for “Rainy Night at the Vogue”, West Michigan Juried Art Show, Manistee, MI.
- Hagerty Award for the best painting featuring a classic car, Crooked Tree Arts Center Plein Air Paintout, Traverse City, MI.
- First place, “quick draw” competition, Plein Air Weekend, Glen Arbor, MI.
- Second place, “Sundowner” competition, Paint the Beach, Fort Myers Beach, FL.
- Honorable mention, “quick draw”, Paint the Beach competition, Fort Myers Beach, FL.
- Honorable mention, Capture Captiva Art Exhibition, Captiva Island, FL.
- 2017Second place, Light Chasers Annual Show, Sarasota, FL.
- Third place, “Quick Draw”, Paint the Beach competition, Fort Myers Beach, FL.
- Honorable Mention, Paint the Beach main competition, professional category, Fort Myers Beach, FL.
- Judge’s Award, Punta Gorda Quick Draw, Punta Gorda, FL.